follow

Read the Blog

CONNECT

NAVIGATE

Sickle Cell Anemia Awareness: Celebrating Resilience

September 10, 2023

September 10, 2023

September is National Sickle Cell Awareness Month, a time dedicated to raising awareness about a disease affecting millions worldwide. Sickle Cell Disease (SCD) is a genetic disorder that disproportionately impacts Black and African-American communities. This article will delve into the history of Sickle Cell Anemia, its causes, symptoms, complications, concerns, and management strategies.

Adobestock 519728192 on successful black parenting magazine

Historical Perspective

The history of Sickle Cell Disease dates back to ancient times. It was first described in 1910 by Dr. James B. Herrick, an American physician, who observed peculiar sickle-shaped red blood cells in the blood of a dental student of African descent. This discovery marked the beginning of our understanding of this inherited disorder.

Sickle Cell Disease primarily affects people of African, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, and South Asian descent. The disease results from a genetic mutation that causes the hemoglobin protein in red blood cells to be abnormal. Instead of the normal, round shape, these red blood cells become crescent or sickle-shaped. This altered shape leads to a range of health issues.

Causes and Inheritance

SCD is an inherited genetic disorder caused by mutations in the HBB gene. To develop SCD, a person must inherit two abnormal copies of this gene, one from each parent. When both parents carry one abnormal gene and one normal gene, they are said to have “sickle cell trait.” In this scenario, there is a 25% chance that their child will inherit two abnormal genes and develop SCD, a 50% chance the child will inherit one abnormal gene and have the sickle cell trait, and a 25% chance the child will inherit two normal genes and be unaffected.

How Children Get Sickle Cell Disease

Children inherit Sickle Cell Disease when both parents carry the abnormal HBB gene. It is important to note that having sickle cell trait does not cause the disease itself but increases the risk of having children with the condition when both parents have the trait.

During conception, when a child inherits two abnormal HBB genes (one from each parent), their red blood cells will contain abnormal hemoglobin known as hemoglobin S (HbS). This HbS causes the red blood cells to become rigid and take on the characteristic sickle shape, leading to various health problems.

Sickle cell on successful black parenting magazine

Symptoms of Sickle Cell Disease

Sickle Cell Disease manifests with a wide range of symptoms that can vary in severity among individuals. Common symptoms and complications include:

02 black 01w8znbw on successful black parenting magazine Pain Crisis:  The hallmark of SCD is the sickle cell crisis, characterized by severe pain in various parts of the body. This pain occurs when the sickle-shaped red blood cells get stuck in small blood vessels, reducing blood flow and causing tissue damage.

02 black 02m7u7bg on successful black parenting magazine Anemia:  Sickle cells are fragile and easily break apart, leading to a reduced number of red blood cells and anemia. Sickle Cell Anemia can cause fatigue, paleness, and weakness.

02 black 03nkaysw on successful black parenting magazine Infections:  People with SCD are more susceptible to infections, as the abnormal red blood cells impair the immune system’s ability to fight off bacteria and viruses.

02 black 04r5qyog on successful black parenting magazine Organ Damage:  Over time, the repeated sickling and un-sickling of red blood cells can lead to organ damage, particularly affecting the spleen, liver, kidneys, and lungs.

02 black 05f4lvnq on successful black parenting magazine Stroke:  SCD increases the risk of stroke, especially in children, as the sickle-shaped cells can block blood vessels in the brain.

02 black 06l6lrka on successful black parenting magazine Priapism:  Men with SCD may experience prolonged and painful erections due to blockages in the blood vessels of the penis.

02 black 07mt 4ew on successful black parenting magazine Jaundice:  Sickle cell crises can lead to the breakdown of red blood cells, resulting in jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes)

.

Sickle cell awareness on successful black parenting magazine

Complications and Concerns

Living with Sickle Cell Disease presents various challenges and concerns:

01 outline 01i cndg on successful black parenting magazine Quality of Life:  The unpredictable nature of pain crises can severely impact the quality of life for individuals with SCD, leading to missed school or work days and reduced social activities.

01 outline 02kmzgbw on successful black parenting magazine Stigma:  People with SCD may face stigma and misconceptions about the disease, affecting their emotional well-being and social relationships.

01 outline 03rsjikq on successful black parenting magazine Mental Health:  Chronic pain and the physical limitations associated with SCD can contribute to depression and anxiety.

01 outline 04jwuo7q on successful black parenting magazine Healthcare Disparities:  Disparities in healthcare access and treatment options persist for individuals with SCD, particularly among minority communities.

01 outline 053s2t5a on successful black parenting magazine Fertility and Family Planning:  SCD can affect fertility, and individuals with the disease may need specialized counseling and care when planning a family.

01 outline 06 obvyw on successful black parenting magazine Financial Burden:  The cost of managing SCD, including medications, hospitalizations, and specialized care, can be a significant financial burden for families.

Management of Sickle Cell Disease

While there is no cure for Sickle Cell Disease, advances in medical care have significantly improved the management of the condition. Here are key aspects of SCD management:

02 black 01w8znbw on successful black parenting magazine Pain Management:  Pain crises are managed with pain relievers, hydration, and rest. Some individuals with severe SCD may require hospitalization for pain control.

02 black 02m7u7bg on successful black parenting magazine Hydroxyurea:  This medication can help reduce the frequency and severity of pain crises by increasing the production of fetal hemoglobin, which does not sickle as easily.

02 black 03nkaysw on successful black parenting magazine Blood Transfusions:  Transfusions can help increase the number of healthy red blood cells in the body and are often used to treat severe anemia or acute complications.

02 black 04r5qyog on successful black parenting magazine Stem Cell Transplantation: A stem cell transplant from a compatible donor can sometimes cure SCD. However, this procedure has risks and is not suitable for everyone.

02 black 05f4lvnq on successful black parenting magazine Managing Complications:  Regular medical check-ups are essential to monitor and manage complications such as organ damage, infections, and strokes.

02 black 06l6lrka on successful black parenting magazine Lifestyle Changes:  Staying well-hydrated, avoiding extreme temperatures, and exercising regularly can help manage symptoms and improve overall health.

02 black 07mt 4ew on successful black parenting magazine Emotional Support:  People with SCD benefit from emotional support and counseling to cope with the physical and emotional challenges of the disease.

Sickle Cell Disease is a complex genetic disorder with a long history of affecting individuals, mainly of African and African-American descent. While there is no cure, advancements in medical care have significantly improved the management of the condition. National Sickle Cell Awareness Month serves as a reminder to raise awareness, promote early diagnosis, and advocate for improved access to healthcare for those affected by this disease. Through education, research, and community support, we can continue to enhance the lives of individuals living with SCD and work towards a future without the burden of this condition.

Adobestock 621422498 on successful black parenting magazine

comments +

We'd love to hear from you. Leave a comment.

Translate »